Saturday, April 17, 2010

all around the mulberry bush

I was super excited to learn from a neighbor that there were three mulberry bushes within a 5 min walk from our house. I took Fern to pick some. She had a blast, but didn't get the idea that you should leave the red ones for next time, that the red ones turn black, and then taste much better. Fresh berries (blueberries, and strawberries) are about 10 bucks for 20 individual berries here on Guam, and they are already half-rotten by the time they get off of the ship. I had no idea there was an edible berry like this that grew in the tropics. It was my first time (and Fern's of course) to taste these berries and they are absolutely delicious and sweet. I have a feeling we'll be visiting those bushes several times a week. ;)





Q: Can you guess what's in this series of photos below?



A: It's a teeny tiny sagu palm tree! I found it, digging around a compost pile in search of rhino beetle larvae. It was a small chunk of trunk with some roots. Sure enough, after I stuck it in a pot of dirt, it sprouted a tiny frond. It's pretty neat to watch all of it's miniscule leaves unfurl!

1 comment:

guam_mummy said...

right in front of the school where Emily goes is a mulberry bush and we eat them everytime I pick her up.....they are REALLY good :) I'm guessing like most things on Guam if you stick a cutting in a pot it will probably grow :)