Saturday, February 20, 2010

In the Garden


I wish I had more time to spend in the garden, if I can even call it that. It's mostly just a smattering of plants and herbs here and there. Someday, I will have a big garden, (flowers and food), and a big greenhouse, and many hours in the day to fiddle around in it. It is so relaxing. We bought an orchid yesterday for inspiration.

Orchids like to use coconut husks to grow on...

Thanks, Al. ;)
*You can also use woodchips or lava rock, but we are lucky to have coconut trees around (just one of the nice things about living on an island).


Fern is proving to be a fan of the garden too. And quite a big help she is! {Notice the dirt around her mouth. She doesn't mind getting dirty...that's my girl! I'd rather her not eat it, but she's pretty determined.}
She helped me weed out all of the aloe and put it in a box to give away. (not a bad weed to have, right?)

We've been waiting a long time for this guy to make his appearance. Our last pineapple took about 1.5 years to bloom, and this one waited just as long. It's makes the event one to celebrate, that's for sure. I'll be taking pictures of it as it grows- it it one of the most gorgeous fruit blooms I've ever had the privilege to see.


Lemongrass for tea. It grows like a weed here too, thank goodness.


3 comments:

Else Demeulenaere said...

so much fun, we miss you at garden day, she would do great!s

Ginger said...

We miss you too. I know... now she's big enough to help too!

Mindy Bizzell said...

seeing Allen with that knife reminded me of the "incident". I feel queasy thinking about it, though I swear I dont know if I ever even saw it.
love to you....