Sunday, July 3, 2011

discipline

I wish I had more of it. There's a special probiotic diet out there that is increasing in popularity as it has helped to heal many, many people from various ailments. It's called the Body Ecology Diet and I am convinced that it is an ideal way of life for me. The problem is that it's really dang hard to stick with it. Once you get past the first 3 months, it's smooth sailing, as you can add things back in to your diet. My start date keeps getting pushed back. I did it once before, back in 2004, but it hasn't gotten any easier. I've made it for a month recently, but I was waiting 6 weeks for a culture to arrive in the mail (an integral part of the program), so I gave up and decided that I would start again after Fern's birthday. But that day still hasn't come, and this time I have no excuse. The jist of it is no sugar. of any kind. not even fruit. No grains except amaranth, millet, quinoa, and buckwheat. No flour of any kind. A small bit of meat, all organic. No dairy, except fermented dairy, but even that has to wait until month 4. Basically, it's veggies, veggies, veggies, a TON of sea veggies, and a bit of meat. But, not only do you have to avoid foods, there are foods on this diet that you are supposed to eat every day. And I can certainly do that part. They are cultured vegetables (and fermented drinks, like coconut kefir), and they are writhing with probiotics and goodness. I just made a big batch yesterday. They are tangy and delicious, and I eat them with every meal. I can tell a difference in my digestion amongst other things. Fern even eats them with me. And that makes me so, so happy.

This batch is made with cucumbers, purple and green cabbage, onions, garlic, lemon juice, and mint.
You have to blend some of it to make a brine.

All ready to sit on my counter for 1 week.

I put some hijiki in one jar as a test. (That's the black stuff on the left that resembles leeches)

1 comment:

east end jenn said...

That's discipline, for sure!