Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Her Other Momma

Because I had mentioned Fern's nanny in my last post, my dad requested that I please post a picture of her on the blog. 'We would like to see a picture of the person that is caring for our dear grandaughter nearly every day,' he said. Shame on me for not doing this earlier as Fern's nanny, Morgan, is a very important person in her life right now. Here she is on her second day with Fern:



We have been extremely lucky in that my job is very flexible. I can create my own schedule (within reason). The nature of my job allows me to work more on the weekends and I can also work at night, which reduces nanny time. Morgan is okay with this and is very flexible, and therefore I am flexible with her. It's all so very flexible. She is allowed to show up late sometimes and take Fern with her while she is playing 'tour guide' for a friend of hers that is visiting Guam. She watches Fern about 20 hours/week.

Sadly, Morgan is planning to leave Guam in February or March of next year to jumpstart her career of 'real' nannying elsewhere. I was intially fine with this since I was planning on placing Fern into daycare in January. But as January creeps closer, the more I dread the thought of leaving her there for the day. The daycare seems fine, but I don't think any daycare that has a 4:1 child:caretaker ratio is adequate for my little Fern. She needs our complete and full attention 90% of the time. The only reason that I didn't put Fern into daycare when she was 3 months old was because all of the decent daycares were full. In retrospect, thank goodness! So the nanny search began. And luckily for us, we found a great one. For now, Fern has a space reserved at Good Day Daycare in January. However, we are still waiting on a vaccination waiver. Without this, she can't get into any daycare and we'll have to come up with a new plan. I am not against finding a new nanny, but that can be stressful in itself, and it seems they are hard to come by. Before Morgan started working with us, I spoke with three of her references, and they were stellar, which set my mind at ease. I know everything will fall into place...it always does. We are actually hoping that Morgan's departure is postponed until Fern turns one. We shall see.

I love my substitute momma!

No comments: